Monday, October 21, 2013

Brooklynn's Birth Story!

Well...we are now a family of three!  It has been quite awhile since I last updated.  I should probably share Brooklynn's birth story...


At my doctor's appointment on December 13th, Dr. Leavitt said that I was still barely dilated to a one (more like a finger tip) and about 25% effaced.  I had been this for the last month.  I asked him if he would be willing to induce me on my due date.  He said that he was going to be going into surgery later that day and would be going on vacation with his family after that.  He said he would be back on the 23rd and offered to induce me then.  At first, Brandon and I were hesitant about it, having her so close to Christmas.  Then, we thought about the fact we could never have a better Christmas present, and this would be a Christmas to remember forever.  We made our induction appointment on December 23rd and 7:00 pm.  He said that because I was effaced only to maybe 50% and dilated to a fingertip (pretty much not at all), they had to give me Cervidel which would soften my cervix and help to kick start my labor so that something would actually happen when I was put on Pitosin.  Cervidel had to be in me for 12 hours and then they would start me on Pitosin.

On my due date, Friday, December 21st, I woke up in the middle of the night, which was a pretty normal occurence since I really didn't sleep well anymore...one of those wonderful pregnancy side effects...and I got up and started walking around.  I felt something pop and all of a sudden my pants were wet.  I was almost positive my water broke.  I woke up Brandon and told him I wasn't sure.  He suggested that I call the hospital and see what they say.  I called and they told me to come in.  So, we went into the hospital at 4:30 am on the 21st.  After doing tests and me getting super excited and nervous at the same time, they said I tested negative for amniotic fluid and it wasn't my water breaking.  I still have no idea what it was.  We went home and stuck with our original plan of the 23rd.

Saturday we finished getting everything ready for her and we packed our bags and wrapped Christmas presents for family members.  We checked in at the hospital at 7:00 pm on Sunday the 23rd.  They gave me Cervidel and started me on Penicilin.  Since I tested positive for Strep they needed to keep me on an IV with Penicilin being pumped into me to keep the baby from getting it when she was born.  Brandon got me a midnight snack of McDonald's (yum..not) and then I went to sleep.  They woke me up at 7:00 am on December 24th and took out the Cervidel, and started me on Pitosin.  I was dilated to a 1 and still effaced to barely 50%.  At 10:30 am Dr. Leavitt came in and broke my water, and checked me.  I was now dilated to a 3 and effaced a little bit more but not much.  At this point, I started having lots of contractions.  Not gonna lie...IT HURTS...REALLY, REALLY BAD!  They put me on some medication for the pain but it was doing nothing.  So after an hour, they gave me an epidural.  I thought it would hurt but honestly it didn't hurt at all.  AND it was so worth it!  From then on I was able to sleep, and enjoy myself.  We watched the contraction monitor and saw how big the contractions were getting.

Around 1:00 pm they checked me again and I was still at a 3.  At that point Dr. Leavitt said that if I hadn't moved in the next couple of hours then we would have to go in for a c-section.  If I hadn't moved in 6 hours, then it is very unlikely that I would progress anymore on my own.

At 4:00 pm they checked me again and I was now at a 4, so he said we would continue to wait for me to progress for now and hold off on the c-section.  Around 6:30pm I was starting to feel pressure and thought that my epidural was just starting to wear off.  The anesthesiologist came in and said that he would give me some more of the epidural medication but I should expect it to start wearing off a little bit because I had the epidural so early.

Around 7:15 pm the nurse came in and checked me.  She said that the reason I was feeling pressure was because I was dialated to almost a 10!  I had gone 5 cm in 2 hours.  Why couldn't that have happened around noon?  The nurse said that we would start prepping to push.  We called our family that was all celebrating Christmas Eve at family member's homes, and they came very quickly to talk to Brandon and I before we went in.  The nurse called the doctor and he said that he would be there in a little while.  Around 8:15 pm the nurse told our family that it was time for them to go.  Brandon stayed with me, even though he was a little nervous for what was coming ahead.  We did some practice pushes and the nurse told me I needed to stop because she was coming and we needed to wait for the doctor.  At 8:30 pm Dr. Leavitt arrived and we started to push.  We were having some trouble because every time I would push the baby's heart rate would drop.  The doctor said that he thought the chord might be wraped around the baby's neck.  After a about 3 sets of pushes he said that if she doesn't come in this next set we would have to do an emergency c-section.  Luckily, she came soon after that and the chord was not wrapped around her neck, but her arm was in the way, and she kept choking herself every time I pushed.  I was having trouble because I would have to push past her elbow that was sticking out.

But, at 8:49 pm on December 24th, our beautiful baby girl, Brooklynn Marie, was born at 7 pounds, 9 ounces, and 21 inches long!  We love her so much and time truly does fly.  I know this post is a little bit late.  But better late than never right?






 


1 comment: